MIDDLE SCHOOL RETREAT IS THIS WEEKEND!
Hi parents and guardians,
Middle School Retreat is just a few short days away. We've got 10 guys and 10 girls signed up to attend, and we cannot wait to share this with them. Retreat is always a powerful experience; I have no doubt that will be true again this year. So, before we leave, here are a few things to be aware of:
- Our leaders for this retreat will be Amy Zornes, Eileen Emrick, Greg Speer, and David. We have Joanna Joseph and Joel Joseph coming as Leaders-in-Training.
- Please be at FCC by 4:15pm this Friday, February 22. We will depart as soon as everyone arrives. If you are going to be late, text me at 720.837.6048 and let me know.
- Your child needs to have a sack dinner with them. No meal is provided for us Friday night. At best we'll have some snacks after large group that evening.
- Youth are allowed a carry-on suitcase and a backpack. WHAT TO BRING: Have them bring a Bible, pen, clothes appropriate for the weather in the mountains, modest bathing suit, personal hygiene items, a water bottle, cash for lunch on the way home. Bedding and towels are provided.
- REGARDING EXTRA CASH: There is a concessions stand and gift store at the YMCA. It is up to you if you want to provide your child with a little spending money. However, we will stop for lunch on the way home, Sunday. Please be sure your child has money to buy lunch from a place like Wendy's.
- With the Clash of Clans event, campers are strongly encouraged to dress up. Simply having the appropriate color is fine.
- 6th = Clan Cave People/Orange, Yellow, Leopard
- 7th = Clan Ninjas/Red, Black
- 8th = Clan Outlaws/Blue
- I will be adding parents to a short-term Remind text group and will send updates throughout the weekend.
- We will return to FCC by 3pm on Sunday, February 24. Texts will be sent if that changes and/or when we are about 30 minutes away.
I think that's it for updates right now. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Thank you for allowing your child to come with us on the retreat!
Websites to Frequent
Our Top Website Recommendations
Sticky Faith Parents - What makes faith "stick" for teenagers as they head into mature adulthood? Fuller Youth Institute took the time to study the data and found some surprising answers. They bring those answers home for parents, guardians, and grandparents here.
Axis - Axis is an organization that serves as a Culture Translator, resourcing parents to disciple and transfer legacy to their children, so that the next generation is challenged to think clearly and critically about what they believe and own their faith. They offer training videos (requires a subscription) and a Culture Translator email/archive.
CPYU - The Center for Parent/Youth Understanding is a great place to go for current culture news and resources on engaging your children and the surrounding culture.
Growing Leaders - Tim Elmore works with schools and churches to raise up the next generation of leaders. His blogs offer fantastic insight into how we can help our youth transition into mature adulthood.
Faith-Building and Thinking Well
Stand to Reason Parent Resource List - Looking for ways to engage the mind of your teenager (or even your own)? STR is a solid place to find just that.
Mama Bear Apologetics - Good articles on apologetic, philosophical, and worldview matters.
Books to Check Out
Age of Opportunity by Paul David Tripp
A Neglected Grace by Jason Helopoulos
Get Your Teenager Talking by Jonathan McKee
Spiritual Parenting by Michelle Anthony
5 Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter by Vicki Courtney
Understanding Youth & Youth Culture
For Parents Only by Shaunti Feldhahn
A Parents' Guide to Understanding Teenage Guys by Mark Oestricher
A Parents' Guide to Understanding Teenage Girls by Mark Oestricher
Marriage, Sex, and Dating
Mom, Dad... What's Sex? by Jessica Thompson and Joel Fitzpatrick
How and When to Tell Your Kids about Sex by Stan and Brenna Jones
More than Just the Talk by Jonathan McKee
Preparing Your Son for Every Young Man's Battle by Stephen Arterburn
Preparing Your Daughter for Every Young Woman's Battle by Shannon Ethridge
XXXChurch Parent Resources - XXXChurch has done a great job resourcing the local church in how to combat pornography.
Sexuality and Gender Issues
Love is an Orientation by Andrew Marin
Out of a Far Country by Christopher Yuan
The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Butterfield
Washed and Waiting by Wesley Hill
On RightNow Media:
Members of Fellowship Community Church have access to RightNow Media. Get hooked up and find all kinds of video resources, studies and more to do with your teenager. Contact the Church Office for more information.
Some video series that talk about sex and dating:
- Simple Truths (Live Presentation)
- XXXChurch It's Valentine's Day Session 3
- Multiple series for youth on sex and dating - watch WITH your student, then talk about it together.